Monday, September 26, 2011

Write on Wednesday: Songbird

This is my first time doing Write on Wednesdays. I'm excited to get started!

"The Write On Wednesday Rules: Get creative with the writing exercises - there isn't a right or wrong. Please do try to visit the other members of Write On Wednesdays and leave a comment.

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 16:
Hadge says: Take a favorite (or even random play) song and write the story behind the lyrics, not something inspired by the lyric, but the flesh on the bones of the story. It gives lots of scope for interpretative writing. Use the lyrics or theme of a song for a piece of flash fiction (50 to 200 words). To clarify, write your version of the story behind the lyrics in a song"

Be sure to check out the other writers: http://inkpaperpen.blogspot.com/2011/09/songbirdits-write-on-wednesday.html

I chose to write about my favorite song of the moment: Grace Potter's "Medicine." Listen here:







He stopped talking when she walked in the door. He sat up straighter, forgot I was sitting across from him, and sat down his beer. As she sashayed through the crowd, men everywhere seemed to zero in on the silky hair, shapely hips and crimson lips. They stared, drooled, panted. She was a walking illusion. Sex in heels.

I knew the moment it happened. Her eyes met my husband’s as she glided her way past the other hungry men, focused only on him. Whispering silky words she took his hand, seducing him to the dance floor. Without a backward glance in my direction, he went willingly after his new drug of choice.

She may be what he thinks he wants, but I am not a woman to sit back watching what I love taken from me. Head held high, I sauntered over to where they danced. She saw me coming, eyes locking with mine in challenge. But, I had the one thing she didn’t: His heart. Reaching them I focused on my husband, took his chin, forcing my stupid man to look me in the eye. All it took was one look to remind him that she was fleeting, but I was forever.

I took back what was mine, threw her out of the bar, and put on those heels myself.

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE Grace Potter!!
    You did a fantastic job with creating the story of this song. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. You can be my wingman anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never heard this song before and I'd never even heard of Grace Potter so firstly, thanks for introducing me to such an amazing voice! Secondly, GO GIRL! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha that was great stuff, also thanks for introducing the great song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Thank you for introducing me to this song. I love it and I love your words behind it. You will always be an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I love Grace Potter, too! This song never fails to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! Very descriptive and loved the reference to sex in heels! I too had never heard of Grace Potter or this song, playing it while I read I could almost feel her sashaying walk through the club.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it...I could see it all unfolding as I read it and listened to it...'she was fleeting, I was forever' - you could make this into a t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, feisty like the song - maybe the beer he sat down should have been poured on his head since he gave in so easily - she may well be fleeting and you forever but he sounds like a dork ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right! She may have been better off kicking them both out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yep, I think I would have been of the 'beer poured over the head' kilter :) great setup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be more a beer over the head response too!
    Great set up, went really well with the song.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the song, love the story, love that sassy wife!
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know this song but I was reading in shock. Not her husband!? But she got him back. Does she want him back though after falling for this? Triumphant ending!

    Welcome to WoW! I hope you enjoyed this week's exercise. Come back and join us again

    Gill x

    ReplyDelete